Buy TV trays!
Those cute little folding tables are about as practical as you can get for a small space. There's a huge selection to choose from, so you can pick something that looks nice with your furniture. We keep ours in our bedroom behind the door and take them out for occasions like:
* When we have guests and need extra places for eating
* When there's a sporting event on TV that we simply MUST watch while we eat (We don't make this a habit, because we love having dinner together at the table, but it's a fun once-in-awhile treat for the boys.)
* When the boys want to separate from each other to do any kind of writing or art
* When Brian or I need some laptop space
* When the kids need to build forts
* When someone is sick and needs a temporary bedside table for tissues, meds, etc.
Click here for some ideas to get you started